Sport Select Review (Western Canada)
In this Sport Select review, you’ll see why Sport Select and Ontario Proline lag way behind PlayNow, Proline Stadium and Mise-O-Jeu when you compare the provincial sports lotteries in Canada.
For starters, how about the Sport Select website, which looks as though it hasn’t changed since the 1990s. That’s the feel you get playing Sport Select as well – that you’re behind the times.
Just check out the Atari-like ‘entertainment’ on their website (click on ‘The Locker Room’ in the top navigation of their site).
Sport Select’s limited betting selection includes:
- Proline (when you pick Visitor, Tie or Home for who will win the game, and Over or Under the total)
- Point Spread (parlaying picks against the spread)
- Pools (where you predict the outcome of every game on the card, with the person with the most correct picks winning or sharing the prize pool)
- Props (picking between two players to win a matchup in a specific statistical category, such as points in hockey or receiving yards in football)
Sport Select Bonuses
The only sign of a ‘bonus’ we saw on the WCLC website when doing this Sports Select review was a contest in which you could win a VIP Sports Trip.
Destinations included the Super Bowl in Houston, an Bruins/Kings game in Los Angeles, a Blue Jays game in Toronto, the Grand Prix in Montreal, or a build-your-own trip. Values of the trips ranged from $5,000 to $20,000.
You can enter the contests by submitting your losing Sport Select tickets.
Sport Select tie rules
I hate sport select ties….should call a tie if it goes to a shoot out but If the team wins in a shoot out just call it a win
Sport Select Proline tie rules are similar to Proline tie rules in other provinces when it comes to football (games decided by 3 points or less are ties) and basketball (games decided by 5 points or less are ties).
Their tie rules in hockey and soccer are the same as Proline Stadium: if the game is tied at the end of regulation. Overtime and shootouts are not included.
There are no ties in baseball.
Sport Select Odds
The biggest reason Sport Select ranks so far down our list is because of their really poor odds.
While PlayNow and Proline Stadium were at least within 20% of online sportsbook payouts on a standard parlay, Sport Select doesn’t even come close.
Just check out this example:
A 3-game $100 parlay at Sport Select Proline paid $750 ($650 profit) while the same parlay paid $1267 ($1167 profit) at Canadian online betting site Sports Interaction. That means Sports Interaction is paying 80% more than Sport Select on this wager!
Sport Select point spread odds are no better.
As you can see below, you can win 5X your wager on a 3-game point spread parlay in football or basketball. Your true odds of winning this wager are 12.5% (50% x 50% x 50%), which means fair odds would be 8:1, not 5:1.
By comparison, sportsbooks pay approximately 7:1 on a 3-game parlay of point spread bets priced at -110 odds.
With Sport Select’s Pools game, the total jackpot is 60% of entry fees, similar to Mise-O-Jeu. So even if you had a 50% chance of winning, you’d only be getting 60 cents on your dollar.
Sport Select requires you to parlay at least 3 games on your Proline ticket. PlayNow, Mise-O-Jeu and Proline Stadium allowed you to parlay as few as 2, so you can expect to lose a lot more tickets when you have to go 3-for-3 at a minimum to get paid.
On the plus side, more losing tickets means more entries into the Sport Select contests.
If you just want to bet 2 games at Sport Select, you can play Point Spread – but the odds aren’t great, as we mentioned above.
Sport Select online betting
Considering how we have already been critical of their simplistic website, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that you can’t play Sport Select online.
If you live in Manitoba, at least you can bet sports on the PlayNow.com website developed by the British Columbia Lottery Corporation. Otherwise, if you live in the prairie provinces, you better get in your car and head to the nearest convenience store.
Sport Select Review: Conclusion
In this Sport Select review, we haven’t been too flattering of the WCLC sports lottery.
Unfortunately, there really isn’t that much to be positive about. At least Sport Select pays you slightly better odds than those poor Proline players in Ontario, but residents of the prairie provinces have to live with an outdated website, limited betting selection and the inability to bet online.
That’s why we recommend anyone who lives in Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba to check out the best online sportsbooks for Canadians. They all allow you to bet one game at a time with total convenience, and completely legally.In this Sport Select review, we examine how the Western Canada Lottery Corporation's sports lottery compares to other lotteries in Canada. Sport Select…
WCLC Sports Select Betting
Providers of Sports Select wagering, the Western Canada Lottery Corporation facilitates gambling activities in Manitoba, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nunavut, Yukon and the Northwest Territories. Strictly controlled, and always slanted towards the government of the provinces and territories it serves, Point Spread, Pro-Line/Over-Under, Pools and Props are the four planks that form the WCLC Sports Select betting platform.
Only Secure Canadian Betting Sites
Guaranteed Fast Payouts
Best Odds Quality and Variety of Sports
- All In One Wagering Website
- Serving Canadians Since 1997
- CSB Exclusive: $500 Welcome Bonus
- LIVE Sports and Casino Betting Action
- Extensive Global Sports Wagering List
- Exceptional Live Chat Customer Service
- Laser Focused on Sportsbook Betting Options
- 100% Sign Up Bonus – Up to $250 in Free Bets
- Up to C$200 Free Bet
- Deliver a Wide Range of Betting Markets
- Massive List of LIVE Betting Markets
- 100% of Initial Deposit Bonus up to $200
- Sleek and Intuitive Betting Platforms
- Serving Canadians Online Since 1994
- Lightning-quick service, including live betting.
- Strong welcome bonus for newcomers.
- Up to C$200 in Bet Credits (T&Cs apply)
- Bonus Cash on All Winning Parlay Tickets
- 100% up to C$200 match up bonus
- 100% up to $200 Welcome Bonus
- Broad Range of Account Funding Options
- High Tech Sports, Casino & Poker Platforms
- Near Century of Trusted Bookmaking
- Sponsors of Major International Events
- 100% sign-up bonus up to $100
- Excellente portal pour le Live Betting
- 100% First Deposit Bonus up to $300
- 100% Deposit Bonus up to $50 + up to $10 Free Bet
- Regular boosted odds offers
- Bet builder feature
- Great site from a user experience pov
- Attractive odds on all major events
- Unique Promos Reward Loyal Customers
- 100% Account Funding Bonus up to $300
- Valuable Player Promotions Are Offered Daily
- Maximum $1000 Initial Deposit Welcome Bonus
- Great modern-looking website
- Offers a no deposit $5 bonus
- Initial Deposit 100% Bonus Pays up to $300
- 50% Reload Free Bet Bonus Returns up to $250
- 50% Free Bet Deposit Bonus up to $1000
- Casual and Pro Canadian Bettors Welcome
- Winning Wagers are Eligible for Early Cash Out
- First Deposits Boosted With Free Bets up to $50
- 20+ years of experience in US sports betting
- Fast payouts
- Most Trusted American Sportsbook.
- Up-to-the Minute Live betting Action.
- Proprietary Lifetime Bonus Guarantee
- Offshore Wagering Leaders Since 1991
How We Rate Sportsbooks
We love sportsbooks who strive to pay your winnings quickly and safely.
We only review sportsbooks where you’ll find big bonuses and free bets.
Our sportsbooks accept deposits with Visa, Interac, Bitcoin and many other methods.
We bring you the best odds for big leagues from NHL to NBA and horses to sports.
How to Gamble online with WCLC Sports Select?
Western Canada Lottery Gaming
In cities across the Prairies, from Winnipeg to Regina and Edmonton, plus Iqaluit, Whitehorse and Yellowknife in the North, Western Canada lottery and gaming is served up by the WCLC. Though baffling, that it’s not available online, Sports Select tickets can only be purchased at lottery retailers. Handicappers in the heart of Canada have better options with these top-ranked online sportsbooks.
As illustrated below, there are several major differences between the WCLC Sports Select wagering option and the offshore sportsbooks we carefully review here at Canada Sports Betting. If you want to skip the gory details – a singular point is all Western Canada bettors need to know. At the time of writing, we are just hours away from the 104th CFL Grey Cup Championship. With online sportsbooks, you can bet on the game-winner – with Sports Select you need the game-winner and two other correct picks. We can’t stress enough how much that slants the table towards the house.
WCLC Sports Select Review
As experienced and veteran handicappers, we know full well how much work is required to achieve success. Scouring the daily sports menu, to separate the good from the bad, and then researching the games you have left can take hours – just to find a single one-bet wager. With Sports Select, be prepared to multiply that work times two or three as bettors are forced to select a parlay with every wager. Also, don’t forget the added TIE odds options that government sports lotteries throw into the mix to complicate things. Simply stated; Sports Select sets up barriers that players should avoid.
- Forced Parlays Favour the House
- Added TIE Options Complicate Decisions
- WCLC Sports Select is Not Available Online
WCLC Sports Select Odds
Bettors need to be prepared to deal with a lot of headaches, and more than their fair share of bad beats, when wagering on WCLC Sports Select odds. Take the nine-game NHL slate from 26/11/16 as an example. With the Pro-Line odds, handicappers were required to predict a minimum of three games and were forced to select from HOME or TIE or VISITOR lines. While the deck is stacked in the governments’ favour – it is doable. Going through the required homework, you discover a few key factors that put three teams in a hole before the games begin. With that primer – you pounce.
Sensing the Capitals, Devils and Red Wings might be a little weary since they are playing on back-to-back nights with travel, you tie the Maple Leafs, Penguins and Canadiens together. While the Toronto pick is a bit risky, up against Alex Ovechkin & Crew, you are getting superior squads (and the better goaltenders) with Pittsburgh and Montreal. Due to the fact that you can’t bet online with the Sports Select option, you head out to your local lottery retailer to place your bet. Because of the added TIE factor, the odds are fairly decent and your ticket returns $146.53 on a $20.00 wager.
Placing that same wager online at SportsInteraction, where the TIE is eliminated, $71.11 is the return on your parlay ticket. Once back home, and tracking the games, the risky Toronto bet is up 4-1 but the Penguins and Canadiens are both down a goal late in the third period. In the end, the Leafs hang on and upset the Capitals while the Pens and Habs stormed back to win their contests in extra time. Unfortunately, because two of the matchups went into overtime, your WCLC Sports Select ticket is toast. Meanwhile, smart online bettors cashed winning tickets. Restack the odds in your favour by registering a personal wagering account at any of the top sportsbooks listed above.Western Canada Lottery Corporation facilitates gambling activities in Manitoba, Alberta and the Northwest Territories. Click now to read our full review! ]]>